Beta Alp 4.0

A collection of information as it arises. There's not a lot out there!

Sunday, June 10, 2007

9000 km

This weekend I've been doing a routine service of the Alp at just under 9000km. The exhaust valves were a little on the loose side at 0.15mm so I took those closer to 0.1mm which is dead centre on the recommended range.

As usual cleaning the air filter was a messy job. I spread it over a few days so that it had time to dry. My usual routine is to rinse it in paraffin, squeeze it out and then give it a few washes in a strong solution of household detergent. After several rinses I leave it to dry on a wire loop over the washing line outside. I have a zip poly bag and some thick rubber gloves that I use for oiling. I pour some on the filter, drop it in the bag and then massage the filter oil in. Then I have a cycle of checking for uniform colour (I use a blue oil), adding oil if required and then working it in in the bag. After that I squeeze excess out between sheets of newspaper. This phase also helps to distribute the oil within the filter. Finally I leave it on the line for a while to let the solvent evaporate. This is a good time to clean out the airbox.

I put the TKC 80 tyres on for summer and the rear trials tyre is worn out anyway. I'm getting quicker at tyre changing; I'm well below an hour for the rear now. The rims on the Alp are a bit odd, but once you're aware of the extra 'tubeless-style' rim you just have to work the bead over it. Whilst the front wheel was out I removed the rim lock and balance weights. The Alp has always suffered from a vibration of the front wheel at motorway speeds which I'd assumed to be due to imbalance caused by the rim lock. Last year I fitted some adhesive balance weights but these didn't remove the problem. Really they weren't heavy enough. So I took all of that lot off and covered the hole in the rim with adhesive aluminium tape and then gaffer tape. Over a short test journey it seemed that the vibration had gone. Once winter returns and the trials tyre goes back on, I'll refit the rim lock; but not bother with the weights.



Whilst the rear wheel was off I took the opportunity to fit a new chain set with a 15 tooth sprocket; I won't be needing the reduced gearing until the Edinburgh trial. The rear chain wheel was quite noticeably worn - it was the original one. Doesn't it look shiny now? This time I placed a rivet link as there was one in the kit. I've put the split link in my tool kit.


I considered replacing the front brake pads but when I compared them to new ones it didn't seem as though it was worth it as yet. They have only lost 1mm or so and still have 3mm left. So at least the same again before reaching the recommended 2 mm limit.

Along side doing these jobs I've been cleaning things with WD40 and/or polish so each job has taken longer than it maybe 'should' but at least it looks nice and clean once again.

After numerous trial drops the handlebars had a slight (additional) bend. I wasn't very aware of it but another competitor had noticed it. On comparing the old bars with a new set of Renthal Daker high bend bars it was obvious that they had deformed, but only dispalced by a few millimetres. With everything to refit there was no way I was refitting the old ones though. Anyway, how much bend can they withstand before breaking? The removal of bits only took 15 minutes, but cutting just over a cm off each end and then refitting levers etc took well over an hour.

At the end of these tasks I went out to get the oil nice and hot prior to changing it. I went on a little trip to the local Japanese motorbike dealer to buy a DR350 oil filter to fit on my return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home