Beta Alp 4.0

A collection of information as it arises. There's not a lot out there!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Day 2: Cambrai to Nevers

It's amazing the difference a shower and some food, and perhaps Normandy cider, makes to ones attitude. Earlier this afternoon I was counting every kilometre, now I'm thinking that I could have ridden lots more in the evening sunshine.

Yesterday morning I'd slackened the drivechain a spot and that had eased the unusually clunky gearchange, but as the day had gone on, it had worsened again. I think that was due to operator tiredness rather then malfunction.

The ride had got off to a bad start as I got lost leaving St Quentin. I'm not sure that the detailed Google Directions I've printed out are helpful as it's impossible to follow the detail and they don't give enough generalisations. Later in the afternoon I merely looked out for signs to the next town and that worked out to be simpler. 

Much of the first half of the day was rather dull with much urban riding and lots of junctions to deal with. The latter half was far better with many curves through rolling farmland hills. As is often the case, the Ibis hotel was on the edge of a semi-industrial area, itself being a good distance from Nevers. Luckily though, only a short walk form the hotel was a very popular bakery and fresh food supermarket. For €12 I got lots of food for both evening meal and tomorrow's lunch.

The best view of the day?

461km on a variety of RN and D roads

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home